Each year around 4% of private housing changes ownership as people move home across the UK. A swathe of activity over the summer, fuelled by home movers seeking a change, means sales levels for 2020 are likely to be better than many expected.
The most active housing markets in Northern Ireland are currently in Ards and North Down, and Lisburn and Castlereagh, where over 4% of private housing has exchanged hands over the past year.
Home movers have led the resurgence in sales activity, COVID-19 changing buyer priorities
Strongest housing markets across Northern Ireland
Property prices across Northern Ireland were 3.0% higher year-on-year as the housing market reopened in June. Antrim and Newtownabbey is currently the top performer in the area. Activity across the UK has been brisk; nationally the average time taken to sell a property fell to 53 days this August, down from 62 days in August 2019. Sensible pricing remains crucial; correctly priced properties are nearly twice as likely to be sold ‘subject to contract’ within four months of listing than those that have had their asking price reduced. Homes in the UK are selling, on average, nine days quicker than a year ago.
Properties for sale in Northern Ireland
Cookstown, Tyrone, 4 bedrooms
This deceptively spacious home was constructed around 10 years ago, comprising beautifully proportioned accommodation, complimented by high-end fittings and fixtures, together with a high-quality hand-crafted kitchen and luxury sanitary ware throughout. The four-bedroom property is surrounded by mature gardens and benefits from generous parking, including a detached garage with a games room above.
Coleraine, Londonderry, 4 bedrooms
This spacious family home, located on the outskirts of Castlerock, boasts uninterrupted sea and countryside views and overlooks Downhill Castle, Mussendun Temple and beyond. This outstanding home provides three generous reception rooms with ornate fireplaces, a deluxe fitted kitchen with slate flooring, four bedrooms and two bath or shower rooms.
Ballymena, Antrim, 5 bedrooms
Beautifully located in the heart of the most idyllic countryside, this attractive detached family bungalow, which is set on an elevated and immaculately maintained site, offers beautifully proportioned and deceptively spacious accommodation throughout. This fine equestrian home offers five bedrooms, four reception rooms, a detached double garage and two stables.
Click to see the market reports in other regions:
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South West
● Market Report 2020 Autumn East Midlands
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn London
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North East and Yorkshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North West and North Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Scotland
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South East Home Counties - Kent and East Sussex
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Southern Home Counties - Surrey and West Sussex
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Southern
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Thames Valley, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West and South Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West Midlands and Wales
If you want independent guidance on moving home or are looking for the best agent in your area, find your local Guild Member today.